This is the Place Heritage Park- SLC, UT
It’s so hard for me to believe that in the 10+ years we lived in the Salt Lake area, we never made it out to This is the Place. Every time we’d visit the Hogle Zoo (right across the street) I’d say to myself, “we should really check that place out.”
Well, we finally made it.
What’s it all about?
If you’re a Latter Day Saint then it’s a pretty significant area in Salt Lake. It’s said to be the place where Brigham Young looked out at the vast desert below and declared, “This is the right place, drive on.” With that being said, the Pioneers found an end to their long and weary journey and began to settle in the Salt Lake Valley.
It’s a great place to learn about the early settlement of Utah.
Some of the buildings on site are the real-deal and have been moved to that location. Others are only mock ups of the originals.
TONS of hands-on activities for the kiddos
There’s SO much for the kids to do! We spent the WHOLE day there and still didn’t see and do everything.
Here’s what they have:
- Train Ride
- Mini Train ride
- Panning for “gold”- Which you can keep or exchange at the little bank and learn how gold was weighed and exchange for currency
- Gem mining at the Prospector pit- A little velvet baggie for your gems and gold can be purchased for $.50
- Pony Rides
- Petting Zoo
- Splash pad
- Pilgrim style sailing ship play ground
- Pony rides
- Leather stamping
- Arts and crafts- in the hospital
- Learn how to do dance the Virginia Reel
- Learn how to use plowing tools and wash your clothes from that era.
- Visit the barber for a shave or learn about black smithing and pottery.
Here’s where I put ETC. ’cause the list could go on.
I really wish I would have known about this place when Zac was younger. It was a fun and educational. I can’t wait until Izzy is old enough to enjoy all the activities.
I can’t think of a title for this last section
It’s great when education and a good time happens at the same time.
Get there early and stay the day. It’s worth the money.
Try the Brigham donuts with the dark Chocolate dip — incredibly delicious.
They have events and other activities happening throughout the year on top of everything else they have for you and your fam to enjoy.
Ps: It’s owned and ran by the state of Utah, not the LDS church, so, If you’re worried about Mormons trying to convert you, it won’t be happening here. 😉